[Note: Sorry for the hiatus! Turns out that a month of every birthday ever + Thanksgiving = Very little free time! Lots of fun projects to share with you though. For starters...]
Why are we so pumped? I’ll give you another hint.
YUP. After living here for a year, we bit the bullet and bought a new rug. You know how you’re supposed to “Go big or go home”? Well what do you do if you’re trying to go big AT home? I guess you go really big. Like, 9 feet by 12 feet big. That’s pretty dang big.
“Hey weirdo, why are you so excited about a rug?” you might be asking. I have a 2 part answer for you.
1) You’ve obviously never seen Aladdin.
2) You’ve never struggled with carpet shopping.
Our old rug was one that I had came to after a series of poor choices. It was a jute, 5×7 rug from World Market that was mostly intended to be indestructible. I had purchased the jute rug to replace another rug, after I learned that black dog hair + white shag rug = THE WORST DECISION YOU COULD EVER MAKE. I bought the jute rug as a sign of resignation. I had given up the dream that I could ever own anything beautiful, sighing softly to my two black dogs and saying “This is why we can’t have nice things.”
When we moved into our new house, I decided to put the jute rug in the highest traffic area, since I knew it would see a lot of Schipperke wrastlin’ (for adorable footage of my dogs wrestling and being BFF’s, you’d better click here). I also put it there, because I simply had no better place to put it.
The main problem with the rug was that it was too small for the room. I’ve talked about before how the biggest problem with our living room is it’s one big long hallway. In some ways, having your living room right next to your dining room is fun, but in other ways sometimes you feel like you’re just hanging out in your dining room. And that’s weird, right?
I googled lots of random phrases in the past like “How to make your living room not so lame” or “How to deal with living in a bowling alley”, and found a lot of great advice about how to deal with making a non-room feel like a room (especially this article from Houzz, super helpful). And that answer 90% of the time had to do with establishing a sense of place with the right size rug. (The other 10% had to do with finding furniture that broke up the flow of the room, which we did by buying our new sofa with a chaise).
In order to get a rug to truly “fit” a room, it should be large enough to extend under all or most of the furniture in the room. Uh, unless we lived in a 5×7 room, our poor little jute rug wasn’t going to do that. Sorry, bro. So we looked and looked, and finally found this 9×12 beauty on Overstock.com for about half of what a normally priced rug would cost. AFFORDABLE!
So after I dragged a 97 lb rug into my house all by myself (LIKE A BOSS), we unrolled that bad boy, lifted up all the furniture (it was a lot a lot a lot of work), and got it in there.
JERRGGGGGGGGG. That was the noise I made while we positioned everything. Seriously, do you realize how hard it is to move a rug this big????
After I caught my breath, I managed to put everything back and then that’s when some angels came down from on high and sang to me as a heavenly choir. They were all:
HALLELUJAH. HALLELUJAH. HA—LE—-LU—-JAAHHHH.
We had a party last weekend too (that you will hear about in the future), and people totally were all hanging out by the fireplace in the living room, dogs were chilling on the floor, it was a comfortable place to be. Also, does this rug look familiar to you? That’s because we totally have its friend rug in the office!
BOOM. Check out that Moroccan motif throughout our house!!
LET’S RECAP why this rug is so awesome!
1. It makes the room feel more like a real room, and not like a bowling alley.
2. I can go sock-free on it and still have cozy toezies.
3. It’s super beautiful.
4. Potentially magical qualities.
5. It visually creates a flow between the living room, dining room and office, while still separating each space.
So that’s why I’m so excited about a rug. Now go forth, and be excited about rugs too.